Male infertility is a condition where a male is unable to impregnate a healthy fertile female. It accounts for 40-50% of all infertility in human beings. Male infertility occurs due to semen deficiency. Male fertility is a complex matter; where for a male to be fertile he must produce healthy sperms. The sperms should then be carried to the semen, and there has to be sufficient quantity of sperms, which are mobile and functional to be able to fertilize the eggs.
There are a lot of causes for male fertility. While it can be caused by medical reasons, physiological reasons can also be a factor.
- Varicocele: It is a condition where the testicles are drained due to swelling in the veins. This happens to be one of the most common causes of male infertility. Although the exact cause for this is not known. It causes reduced quality of sperm.
- Infection: Sometimes sperm health and production can be caused by various infections, which can even block the passage of the sperm. Some of them are Epididymitis or Orchitis and some sexually transmitted infections like Gonorrhea or HIV. Sometimes these infections can cause permanent infertility, but mostly there are treatments available.
- Ejaculation Problems: Sometimes due to various health conditions ejaculation does not occur during orgasm. Various factors such as spinal injury, diabetes, medications and some surgeries of the prostate area can be responsible for this.
- Antibodies: Some antibodies cannot identify sperm and attacks it thinking it to be harmful aliens and try to eliminate them.
- Tumors: Both malignant and benign tumors can sometimes be responsible for infertility in males.
- Undescended Testicles: When one or both testicles fail to descend from the abdomen it can result in low fertility.
- Hormone Imbalance: Imbalance caused due to hypothalamus, thyroid, pituitary and adrenal glands can result in low testosterone and can cause infertility.
- Chromosome Defects: Genetic conditions such as Klinefelter’s syndrome, cystic fibrosis, Kallman’s Syndrome and Kartagener’s Syndrome are also responsible for infertility.
There are more causes of premature ejaculation, Celiac disease, medications for hormone replacement therapy. Then tobacco, drugs or alcohol addiction, emotional stress and obesity can also cause infertility in males.
There are a lot of options for the treatment of male infertility. The following are some of the commonly used
- Surgery: Some condition such as Varicocele is often surgically corrected. Surgery is used for some other conditions as well.
- Treating Infections: Depending on the condition, antibiotics can be administered to treat the infection of the reproductive organ.
- Counseling: Sometimes counseling is given to overcome certain psychological disorders which hamper the proper functioning of reproductive organs.
- Hormone Therapy: When infertility is caused due to hormonal imbalance, some hormones are prescribed to balance the hormone levels.
- Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART): This entails obtaining sperm through various ways and then inserting them in the female genital tract.
These are some the treatments used to treat male infertility. Some of the best treatment for infertility in the male is available in ICSI Bangalore, where you can go for a checkup for any underlying infertility problems.