Indian food is a favorite just about anywhere you go in the world. It’s commonly casually slid into menus even in restaurants that don’t advertise this type of cuisine because the owners know that Indian food sells. It’s delicious, diverse, and full of flavor, and once you try it, you’re hooked.
Whether you are new to the Indian food scene or a regular foodie, here are 8 Indian meals you don’t want to miss.
Indian Cuisines That Never Get Old
1. Aloo Gobi – This meal is full of flavor and one you probably don’t want to make at home unless you’re a confident cook. Aloo Gobi’s main ingredients include potatoes, or aloo, and cauliflower, or gobi. Its yellow color comes from the turmeric that’s found in most Indian dishes, but the flavor is a mix of onion, ginger, tomato, peas, cumin, garlic, and coriander stalks.
2. Aloo Matar – The popular Aloo Matar is traced to Punjabi origins. It’s a vegetarian dish made primarily from potatoes and peas and is set in a spicy creamy tomato sauce. The sauce itself is flavored with tomatoes, onion, cilantro, ginger, and garlic.
3. Butter Chicken – Authentic Indian butter chicken will be prepared in a tandoor, or a clay oven that found in the shape of a cylinder. If you’re in a traditional Indian restaurant, you’ll find that a tandoor is the pride of the kitchen. The meal is a combination of a special blend of gravy full of multiple ingredients like tomato, garlic, butter, fresh cream, and spices added to the chicken for melt-in-your-mouth flavor.
4. Samosas – These are a dinner that masks as a dessert. Samosas are pastries that are fried or baked and filled with such delicious meats as ground lamb, beef, or chicken. However, Indian samosas are frequently vegetarian. It’s quite common to find samosas in tourist-focused restaurants and sold by street vendors.
5. Tandoor Chicken – Also prepared in a tandoor, tandoor chicken is a combination of roasted chicken marinated in yogurt and seasoned with a special mix of spices that gives it a spicy bite.
6. Uttapam – If you love dosas, uttapam will make it on your favorites list. Dosas are similar to crepes, but uttapam are more like pancakes. It is made of rice flour and white lentils with your choice of toppings added to it for flavor.
7. Veg Biryani – This rice dish is created by mixing basmati rice and vegetables, herbs, and biryani spices. The incredible flavoring and aroma of this meal makes veg biryani delivery a favorite!
8. Vegetable Jalfrezi – A common recipe found in North India, vegetable jalfrezi is made from vegetables and spices and is served for lunch and dinner. It’s also a popular choice for potlucks, formal lunches, and casual get-togethers.
There’s No Food Quite Like Indian Food
For a foodie, flavors are the most important aspect of your meal. Italian, American, Mexican, and other types of food may taste good, but there’s no food that has quite the same impact on your tastebuds as Indian cuisine!