The mattress you use has a huge impact on the quality of sleep and ultimately on your health. Many people get confused when they go shopping for a mattress. They don’t know whether to buy the firm or the soft one. Our preferences are all different and a mattress is not a one-size-fits-all item. There are those who would rather have a firm one while others like their mattress so Is it Better to Sleep on a Firm or Soft Mattress?
The mattress you use has a huge impact on the quality of sleep and ultimately on your health. Many people get confused when they go shopping for a mattress. They don’t know whether to buy the firm or the soft one. Our preferences are all different and a mattress is not a one-size-fits-all item. There are those who would rather have a firm one while others like their mattress soft at all times.
Considering the diversity of these preferences, we cannot say that a certain mattress is ideal and another one is not. It all comes to personal tastes. This is because people don’t have similar sleeping postures, styles, and needs. There are those who prefer to sleep on their backs and there are those who find it comfortable to sleep on their sides. In addition, there are those who you can never find sleeping on either the side or the back because they sleep on their stomach. Mattresses that don’t offer enough support have negative effects on the pressure points.
For this reason, one should buy the mattress that goes well with their sleeping postures. This way, the spine’s natural alignment will be taken care of and you won’t wake up with back pain that would be caused by extreme tension on your muscles as well as your joints.
Firm Mattress versus Soft Mattress
As stated above, a firm mattress and a soft one are not similar. Soft mattresses are not rigid. Rather, they are known for their flexibility when compressed. On the other hand, firm mattresses are known to be rigid and inflexible. The firmness in mattresses differs such that there are those that are firm and others medium firm. The medium firm is supple, unlike the firm that is rigid. Let us look at some of the advantages and drawbacks of both types of mattresses.
- Soft mattresses are good for reducing back pain. This is because they support the spine and reduces tension on muscles.
- The elderly can use these mattresses to ease the joint pain as well as other joint problems that come with old age.
- The medium-firmness in mattresses can help people who are slimmer and lighter if they want to enjoy the plushness since the mattresses take care of the unique needs of the spine.
- People who use their side to sleep are advised to use the soft mattresses since this is the best way to not sacrifice their spinal support.
The quality of sleep can be negatively affected if a spine is pushed out of its alignment when the mattress is too soft.
- Some of them are more expensive in comparison to the firm mattresses.
- When they are continually used, the soft mattresses become softer and this makes them become inappropriate for use.
- They are good for the spine for they keep your body straighter and don’t put tension into the spine.
- They allow smooth flow of blood into the veins since any pressure that may be experienced in your veins is reduced.
- While you are sleeping, you are able to breathe in and out well, therefore, more oxygen is inhaled during sleep. This is because your lower back is well-supported.
- You can use pillows while sleeping on these kinds of mattresses.
- If you continue using this mattress, you will adapt more easily than if you are using the soft ones.
Drawbacks of Firm Mattresses
- You can find it hard to adapt to the use of this mattress if you had been using the soft one.
- Researchers have found out that these mattresses are not good for people with certain diseases and conditions like rheumatism, arthritis, scoliosis, among others.
- You may not be able to differentiate between a firm and medium-firm mattresses.
- It may get indentions especially due to body weight.
Choosing the ideal mattress should never be a daunting task at all. You are supposed to choose based on whether you have back pain experiences, your sleeping posture, and your weight. People, who suffer from back pain should get the firm mattresses. This is because they are good for the spine and if you continually use them, back pain will be a thing of the past. In addition, your weight plays a big role in the mattress you choose. If you are heavy, firm is better because you may not even notice the firmness while lighter people are advised to consider the softer ones. You should also choose based on your sleeping posture.
Firm or Soft Mattress
Regardless of everything else, choose what makes you sleep well and that which you feel comfortable while sleeping on. Your personal preference is what matters at the end of it all.