It’s likely that you’ll realize your loved one has a drug addiction before they do. This is because you’re able to see the symptoms developing from the outside; they are simply focused on when they will get their next hit from. It’s important that you know how to get them to a drug rehab program for drug detox facilities.
1. Recognizing the Symptoms
The first step to getting your loved one into a drug rehab program is to recognize the symptoms and talk to them about it. This will need to be done gradually to ensure you do not make them paranoid or aggressive towards you; you are only trying to help!
Common signs of addiction include:
- Changes in behavior; specifically caring less about work, hobbies or even their personal hygiene. They are likely to withdraw from contact with others.
- Hallucinations: Many drugs alter the state of your mind allowing you to see things which aren’t really there. Although your loved one may perceive them to be real.
- Inhibitions tend to be lower; drug addicts are less aware of the world round them and feel more capable of doing anything. As such they may be more promiscuous or take bigger risks than normal.
- Sweats or even the chills.
- Dilated pupils: this is the classic one you see on television and in the movies; it does happen.
- Muscle cramps.
2. The Do’s And Don’ts
It is important to recognize that many addicts have only received the help they need because their loved ones have got them into a drug rehab program. It can be done!
The internet makes this part much easier. You need to learn as much as you can about addictions in general and the drug addiction your loved one has.
The aim is to understand and emphasize with the addicts; understanding the issue will help you to connect with your loved one and for them to see that you are trying to help.
Drug addicts are often wrapped up in their own world; they are not aware of the damage they are doing to you and other family members.
Holding an intervention will allow each of you to tell them how their addiction is affecting your lives. While this will not force them into a drug rehab clinic it should help them to realize what they are doing is affecting others. If they love you they will want to stop.
To convince your loved one of the effect they are having on you and others you need to plan the intervention and the result if it does not have the desired effect. This will ensure that everyone who wants to take part is there and you are ready to take the next step.
You need to show your loved one you are serious; even if this means temporarily withdrawing financial support.
Drug Rehab Centre
Make sure you have a suitable drug rehab clinic lined up. As soon as your loved one realizes they need help you should not delay; get them straight off to the clinic and get the treatment started.
They will need to know you are there to support them and understand. But, under no circumstances should you stop for one last hit or a drink.
Once your loved one is in drug rehab you can simply support the work of the clinic and help them to resist temptation when they come out.