small rooms
Home décor LIFESTYLE LIFESTYLE

Creating the Illusion of Space in your Small Rooms

While you may love your new home, certain areas or rooms might seem small or uninviting. If your living room seems cramped, for example, family and friends won’t want to spend time in it during parties, and you could see a great deal of overflow into the kitchen. Fortunately, there are a few secrets the professionals use to make even the tiniest bedroom seem spacious and welcoming. Follow these tips to create the illusion of extra square footage in your space.

1. Choose Lighter Paint Colors

small rooms
Photo Credit

Dark rooms tend to make guests feel like the walls are closing in around them. While darker paint colors are a great look for dens and rooms that you want to feel intimate and cozy, they can make a small room seem even more cramped. Instead, opt for light colors that brighten up the room and make the walls feel like they’re receding. This design choice helps eliminate the feeling of claustrophobia and makes a room feel more spacious.

2. Keep the Air Circulating

small rooms
Photo Credit

Similar to the way that dark colors make a space seem too small, stale air can make you feel trapped in a room. In contrast, generating movement through the room and keeping the air clean can open up the space. At the very least, turn on the ceiling fan to keep the air moving. If you’re looking for a more advanced solution, consider investing in an air purifier that eliminates dust and allergens from the air and helps you breathe easier.

3. Add Mirrors for Height and Depth

small rooms
Photo Credit

The old mirror trick is a classic one that many homeowners return to over and over. Mirrors add depth and make any room feel larger, even though they simply reflect what you already see in front of you. Crafty DIY enthusiasts can take this illusion one step further by using mirrors to add height to a room. One Washington Post designer uses these elements to make her ceilings seem higher. She admits that adding space to a room is 75 percent visual manipulation, and the other 25 percent of the equation is strategic furniture placement and luck.

4. Open Blinds and Curtains

small rooms
Photo Credit

Windows operate the same way that mirrors do. The fact that they allow you to see outside adds depth to a room and creates a more open environment. If you can keep the blinds open and the curtains pulled back while still maintaining a comfortable level of privacy, you can easily expand a small room by opening it to the outside. You don’t need to overlook an expansive backyard to add depth and perceived space to small areas in your home.

Once you have the basics out of the way, it’s up to you to stock small rooms with furniture that flatters the space. Many of the same principles apply when it comes to decor. A dark statement piece isn’t necessarily a bad idea, but too much darkness or bulkiness can shrink a room. Keep these tips in mind and create all the space you need.

Save

Save

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *